Everything You Want To Know About... Bridal Beauty
As one of the most important days of your life, your wedding day is a time you want to look your best. With all eyes on you, your wedding day is when you want your most fabulous self to shine through.
Us Spectrum girls are obsessed with bridal beauty. From the skincare prep to the finishing touches, we love to see all of your wedding day looks. But we know that getting wedding-ready takes a lot of work, and you may feel nervous or uncertain about your bridal look.
But never fear, beautiful brides-to-be - this is the post for you. We’ve put together a bumper guide to bridal beauty to tell you everything you need to know to prepare for your big day. Read on and discover Spectrum’s biggest bridal secrets.
Your wedding countdown: It’s all about the prep!
Wedding beauty doesn’t start on the morning of the wedding. To help you feel your most beautiful, glowing self, you should start thinking about your wedding beauty at least 8 weeks before the big day. Some of the things you can do to help you prepare include:
- Start looking at makeup looks that appeal to you. Bridal magazines are great for finding wedding makeup ideas, but you can also get some great inspiration from places like Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok.
- Skincare is very important. Our makeup artist Hannah says, “Stick to a regimented skincare routine at least 8 weeks before the big day. Try out any new products before this to ensure you have no reactions. The weeks leading up to your big day are not the time to try out new products!”
- Try out some wedding makeup ideas yourself. Even if you have a makeup artist booked for the day itself, it will help you get an idea of the things you like and the things you want to avoid.
Choosing your wedding makeup
There can be a lot of pressure choosing your wedding makeup. It’s natural to want to feel special, but like yourself too. MUA Hannah says, “choose a style of makeup that you feel comfortable in and one that reflects your true style and personality. However, keep in mind, you want this to also be timeless for years to come!”
Talk to a professional about the types of colours that are best suited to you. Neutral, soft shades of brown and blush are a popular choice for many brides, while dark skin tones suit bronzed shades paired with raspberry lips for a breathtaking look.
Makeup trials are also a great idea for wedding makeup ideas and pinning down your final look. You could visit a makeup department to discuss your look and select some products, or work with your makeup artist for a trial. Our beauty writer Siân says, “visiting makeup counters can be great value for money. You pay to have the makeup applied, but you get to spend the fee on products afterwards, so you feel like you’re getting more for the experience."
Bridal makeup tips for DIY brides
We all know that weddings are expensive. If you’re on a budget, or you simply love to do your own makeup, then doing your own bridal makeup could be a great choice for you. Doing your own wedding makeup doesn’t have to be scary or daunting, and if you practice your look ahead of the day, you’ll know exactly what you need to do. Some of MUA Hannah’s top bridal makeup tips for DIY brides are:
- Leading up to your wedding, try out different eyeshadow colours and lip shades to see what you truly like.
- Test different foundations in the lead-up to your wedding to get an idea of what finish you like (Matte, glowing, full-coverage or natural, etc). Wear them all day and see how they last. Be mindful that if you’re going to have a tan (real or self-tan), you will need a different shade from your usual foundation.
- Skin prep is key to making your base look as good as possible on your big day! Prep the skin with products that are suited to your skin type and your preference of finish. (This is why trial runs are so important!). An illuminating primer like our Glowful Primer is the perfect base product for a subtle glow.
- If you practice your makeup or request a trial from a professional, take lots of photos in natural lighting and with flash. Wear the makeup throughout the day or in the evening for a true wear test.
- Even if you like super natural – photographs can wash out the skin and the eyes are easily lost. So don’t be afraid to define the eyes a little more than you’re used to. BONUS TIP: Use a dark brown eyeshadow and create a paste using fixing spray. This will softly define the top lash line, without looking as harsh as liner or black eyeshadow.
- Always opt for highlighter and a light application of contour! This doesn’t have to look “heavy”. The photographer will naturally capture different angles of your face on the day, so highlighter will ensure your cheekbones pop as light will naturally bounce off the highest points of your face. Contour, meanwhile, will naturally enhance your bone structure which will really pop in photographs!
- Blusher is the first product to fade away, so always apply a little more than you think – we promise it will be toned down by the time you finish getting ready!
- If you’re not sure about your lashes, practice or give them a trial run so you can get used to them. You could also ask a professional lash technician for lash extensions – these can look very natural, and it also means it’s one less step to apply on the day!
- Wear a lipstick shade that you already know and love. Feeling comfortable and like “you” is key on your wedding day.
- Pack a bag of essential products to top you up throughout the day. Your blush, powder, lipstick and concealer can be reapplied as needed for your post-ceremony photos, before you enter the reception and ahead of your evening entrance. Our Bridal Beauty Box has some beautiful accessories to help with those crucial beauty touch-ups.
Your top questions about wedding makeup answered
Got a question about wedding makeup? We’ve got you covered! Beauty expert and writer Siân has answered some of the top questions we get asked about wedding beauty:
How much should I expect to pay for wedding makeup?
The cost of wedding makeup varies depending on the makeup artist you have. Generally, artists charge anywhere from £50-£100 for a trial and £100-£200 on the day.
Choose a makeup artist with experience and plenty of photos of their work. Recommendations are great, so ask friends and family for their recommendations if they loved their wedding makeup and a particular artist.
How much does bridesmaid makeup cost?
Bridesmaid makeup can range from £40-£60 for a trial and around £50-80 for the day itself.
Does the bride pay for bridesmaids' hair and makeup
This is a divisive topic. If you can afford to, and you’re happy to pay, then that’s fine. Most brides who have a specific hair and makeup look in mind will do this.
If not, it’s fine to ask your bridesmaids to pay for their own hair and makeup. You may also want to give them the option to do their own if their funds are tight. Some brides do a combination and pay for either hair or makeup, and ask bridesmaids to pay for the other.
Do I need a makeup artist for my wedding?
As you’ll see from our tips above, you don’t need a makeup artist for your wedding. You can do your makeup yourself if you feel happy and comfortable doing so.
Most people choose to have a wedding MUA because it saves stress on the day and ensures you benefit from an expert touch.
What makeup mistakes should I avoid?
While everyone wants to look radiant and glowing on their wedding day, you can overdo the shine! Try to keep your highlighter subtle and opt for minimal shimmer for the rest of your makeup - you don’t want to look shiny or oily in your photos!
I don’t normally wear much makeup, how can I feel comfortable and not look ‘overdone’?
Makeup should be used to enhance your natural beauty and features. If you don’t normally wear makeup, keep things simple by focusing on glowing skin, groomed brows, and just subtle eye and lip makeup.
Trials will be a big help for you, and you can practice wearing makeup in the lead-up to the big day to help you get used to it.
Help! How do I pose for the camera?
Don’t worry about posing for the camera! Your wedding photographer is the expert in capturing your best angles. They’ll work to help you feel natural and photograph you without you even knowing it! Stay relaxed and don’t force a look - your photographer’s job is to capture you at your best, and they will direct you to help you get the best shots.
We want to wish all of our blushing Spectrum brides a beautiful wedding day. Why not check out our Bridal Collection for some extra special beauty gifts to give yourself or your bridesmaids to help you get ready for the big day.
FEATURED BEAUTY EXPERTS